Well, the pattern may be the same but every time I make one of these bags, the whole effect is so different depending on the fabric & handles that I put on. This Garden tote was made from recycled ,vintage, waxed canvas hunting tents. That faded gray & blue has such a summer feeling & for me, I just love the lived in feeling of the fabric. For the linings I tend to go in the opposite direction & put a bright pop inside. The leather handles can be removed so it can all be thrown in the wash.
This tote was made as an example for my upcoming class at Fabricate here in Boulder. After following a pattern the first time I made one, I realized it was not exactly what I was picturing. Like anything else, making a pattern can be about the concept your trying to achieve. I changed the height & width of the original & made the front & back pockets 2 instead of 3 which I thought was just too many for my needs. I ended up with a good sized, very functional, multi-pocket handbag which I use constantly especially when the weather gets springy. Bags like this are great for the farmers market & also keeping your goods separated when you’re lugging around not just your things, but your kids as well. For this sample, I incorporated detachable leather handles that can be removed for when you need to just throw it in the washing machine.
If you’re around & interested, this will be a 2 part class from 12:30-2:30 on Thursday May 17 & 24th.
This is the third version that I’ve made of this bag. For the first one I copied a pattern & when it was done, it worked but was not the proportion I was looking for. The second time I made it, I ended up using it all summer as it was made from this really great brown & white heavy linen stripe. The THIRD time I tried this bag, I used the concept but made my own pattern. Instead of the 3 pockets on each side I revised it to 2. Plus the 2 outside pockets on either end it still had 6 pockets which was just fine with me. After I cut out the pieces I painted the white bits by hand then sewed it together. Instead of a lining I just added a natural twill tape binding. To finish off the inside hem I painted a bright yellow stripe on the cotton webbing for fun. The straps were also hand painted on the tips. I finally made the bag that I was thinking of. I think this would make a fun 2 part class……