OK, it’s time for a recipe. Trust me, it’s good.
- 1 lb shreaded chicken (I just bought a roast chicken & tore it into pieces)
- 1tsp thyme
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper (no seeds)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3, 6oz cans of whole green chills
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 15oz cans hominy, drained
- sliced avocado, radishes and tortilla chips for garnish (optional but recommended)
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño, and garlic. Cook until soft about 4 minutes. transfer to a blender then add the chills, cilantro & thyme & puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and cook one medium heat until sauce thickens & turns deep green, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, hominy and chicken to sauce pan. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes until hot. Garnish with avocado, radishes and tortilla chips.